Managing Social Media by Sylvia Smith
Today’s biggest trends–social media, the mobile web, real-time constant information–have forced hospitality businesses to rethink the way they perceive and operate their businesses. Consumer influence is growing, as they use the
social web to engage in discussions around the products they purchase, and those discussions are happening without the hospitality brands being able to control them.
In this new and ever-changing media environment, Social Media and Content have become a fundamental tool of communication for hospitality organisations, and a must-have skill in the global hospitality industry. This module aims to build
knowledge on how to operate Social Media and create Content to gain insights into customers’ needs, generate revenue, save costs, energise customers, and create brand communities. Students will critically assess various social media channels and tools for developing professional profiles, creating professional Content, collaborating and engaging with an audience.
On successful completion of this module, students will be able to:
• Undertake an evaluation and synthesis of business communication through social media.
• Critically evaluate the complex role and application of content creation and social media within the international hospitality industry.
• Align social media communications with broader goals and functions.
• Establish clarity of vision, purpose, and execution on Social Media and align Social Media communications with broader business goals and functions.
• Integrate Social Media into long-term PR & marketing programmes, short-term campaigns, and brand initiatives.
• Develop and create Content for instant, widespread distribution on Social Media that resonates with customers.
• Use of Social Media as an internal and external strategic communication tool to increase communication effectiveness.
• Develop skills of managing social media through the professional use of multiple platforms such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, WeChat, Snapchat and Instagram.
• Effective performance measurement of Social Media ROI by measuring frequency, reach and yield.
• Publish social media updates and engage with a community.
• Plan for effective performance measurement on social media activities.
• Implement guidelines and operations for effectively managing social media.
|[wp-svg-icons icon=”screen” wrap=”i”] Pace||Self-paced|
|[wp-svg-icons icon=”globe” wrap=”i”] Language||English|
|Caption||English,Spanish, German, Traditional Chinese, French|
|[wp-svg-icons icon=”list-2″ wrap=”i”] Difficulty||Entry / Intermediate|
|[wp-svg-icons icon=”file-3″ wrap=”i”] Certification||Yes|
Sylvia Smith is the Director of Sales and Marketing at Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riviera Maya, responsible for managing the Sales and Marketing team of the 214-room lifestyle resort, driving sales, marketing, PR and social media strategy, and leading a team of 20 associates in sales, marcom and events. In 2020, Smith led the relaunch of Andaz Mayakoba after the COVID-19 pandemic, establishing tiered recovery phases with brand positioning of each phase aligned with sales strategy, social media and PR activities.
Smith brings over 20 years of hospitality experience to her role, with a deep knowledge of international markets, a proven record in driving revenue and top line results, and excellent skills in strategy, positioning hotels in respective markets, communication and team management. She is known for her savvy PR and social media talents, effectively launching creative, integrated campaigns and luxury partnerships with luxury brands.
Smith earned her Bachelors of Business Administration degree at Les Roches Global Hospitality Education in Switzerland and Digital Marketing at Cornell University. She started her hospitality career with Hyatt in 2002 as the International Sales Manager at Grand Hyatt Sao Paulo as part of the opening team, followed by her role as Associate Director of Sales for Hyatt’s flagship hotel in the Asia-Pacific region, Grand Hyatt Hong Kong.
Smith went on to lead the European Group Sales team at Preferred Hotels & Resorts driving revenues in MICE from Europe up in 60%. Returning as Senior Director of Sales to Hyatt Hotels in 2014 in London, UK she overlooked both Global and Regional Sales offices driving revenue to Hyatt hotels globally, identifying key strategies for need hotels of the region in addition to marketing new hotel openings and successfully positioning the different Hyatt brands. Prior to joining Andaz Mayakoba, Smith served as the Director of Sales & Marketing at Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok where she lead a team of 40 associates in Sales, MarCom, Digital Marketing, Social Media and Events Sales, and oversaw all hotel and F&B marketing, PR and social media channels and partnership marketing.
Smith speaks five languages and is an avid traveler, documenting her passion for travel and hotels on her Instagram account @ILOVE_HOTELS, which has over 35,000 followers.
When you complete this Managing Social Media course, you will receive a certificate of completion, which you can share with your friends, relatives, co-workers and potential employers. Certificates can be saved as a .pdf or .jpg file so that you can easily share your accomplishment. In addition, certificates can be shared on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn directly from your Hotel.school account.
- Lectures 23
- Quizzes 1
- Students 12
- Assessments Yes